NEW DELHI: Lauding India for its secular values, Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama on Sunday said the country’s “religious tolerance” can be a “role model” for the rest of the world.
“India’s long tradition of religions tolerance can be a role model for rest of the world,” he said here while speaking at an international Anti-Terrorism Conference which was attended by leaders from several countries.
“Major religions of the world like Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism originated in India and it provided shelter to followers of religions like Zoroastrianism. These can be a model for rest of the world,” he said.
Referring to Pakistan and Iraq, where Shia-Sunni strife has claimed hundreds of lives, he said it is India where people of all religions and sects live peacefully.
Condemning terrorism across the world, he said: “some people’s actions raise finger to all others. This is wrong… We have to consider human values and think about humanity as a whole. It is a universal responsibility.”
Oh dear god!! I really admire the Dalai Lama so it makes the statement even more ridiculous. I mean, come on……learn from India’s religious tolerance? Please.
- The National Liberation Front of Tripura, an organization (presently almost disbanded), regarded as a Christian/Nationalist terrorist group operating in Northeastern India, have committed mass-murders on the Hindu population of the region.
- The Ghanchi Muslims of Gujarat have frequently carried out pogroms against Hindus, most notably the Sindhi riots in the 1960s and the Godhra Train Burning in 2002.
- The murder of Indira Gandhi had triggered a riot against the Sikhs, often regarded as a Congress Party and its then leader Rajiv Gandhi supported pogrom (for details see 1984 Anti-Sikh riots).
- The BJP government of Gujarat siding against the Muslims during recent riots against Muslims in Gujarat, triggered by the event above and of not assisting in persecution of the guilty (for details see 2002 Gujarat violence).
- Hindus in Kashmir have frequently been murdered and ethnically cleansed from the region by Islamic extremists.